Friday, April 12, 2013

Spring is in the Air!


I know spring is here when I start hearing the crack of the bat. Of course, these days it's more like a ting from today's modern composite and aluminum bats. Youth, from 5 year old tee ball players to the 17 and 18 year old big league players, are hitting the playing fields. They will be honing their skills, not only in the fundamentals of the game, but also in the skills of team building, time management, persistence, determination, fairness, and friendship; skills that will carry over in to adulthood.

 
 



Approximately 2.6 million youth around the world are currently playing baseball or softball. This takes a lot of dedicated volunteers, who spend countless hours preparing, guiding, and hoping to make a difference in a future generation.

As a Little League coach over the past 11 years I've noticed how coaches can have either a positive or negative effect on the players. The two coaches I remember the most were positive and supportive. They encouraged, even when mistakes were made. They did not yell or make hurtful comments, as I have sometimes witnessed on the field. Instead, I heard, "Nice try, you'll get it next time." When I came off the field, I was shown how to correct my mistake for the next time; I was given the opportunity to learn from my mistakes. These 2 coaches made me want to do my best every time. Now, as a father, a coach, and a project manager at JL Architects, this is what I want for my team.


 
 
I pattern my coaching philosophy after those two gentlemen. A simple game of ball has taught me so much; it has given me skills that are used every day at home, work, and in my community. This is what has made me dedicated to coaching - passing on the valuable life skills, with the hope that today's youth will benefit, grow, and continue the circle of guiding & teaching others.


 
 
If you're interested in learning more about Little League and assisting with a team in your area then follow this link:
Little League Online.
And if you're interested in architecture and baseball, check out the photos of the nearly complete renovation to the museum: World of Little League: Peter J. McGovern Museum

-Martin Summers

No comments:

Post a Comment